Making your home burglar-proof in an expensive way is not the only option. You can choose multiple ways to secure your home from burglars in an inexpensive and much affordable manner. The home security is about taking smart steps and paving the cornerstones for home security are also a vital part of the whole process. Take the steps that are value-minded rather than focusing a lot on the budget first for your residential protection. Here are eight ways to keep your home safe and secure from burglars.
You can take various measures that carry absolutely no cost or low cost and can be readily implemented right away. TOP Home Security Camera, keeping your valuables locked inside safe are some examples of the measures that we take towards home security.
Keep Your Home Safe and Secure From Burglars
1. General Measures
Most of the robberies take place during daylight. You can, therefore, inherit some of the basic protective measures to keep your property and assets safe during any threat and risks of burglary. The robberies get completed within a duration of over 10 minutes. The time between 8 AM to 3 pm is the peak time for burglaries.
The robbers are likely to enter your place using the main door or the windows of your house. They look for the corner that is usually empty. You should keep a bird’s eye view on all the corners of your house even when they are not in use.
2. Reinforcement of hardware, doors, locks, windows
There is no use of locking your doors and windows with solid locks until and unless the doors themselves are flimsy. An outsider can easily enter your premises by slamming or kicking the windows or doors. You should check all the main doors and entry points, and reinforce, replace and repair the ones that need any changes.
- If there are any broken, thin doors with a hollow core, then you should consider to replace them if they are present in the exteriors. Security support or barricades on the doors act as additional support.
- Hardware on the door: The installation of the strike plate on the door must be done using ¾ inches long screws. The bolt does not come out of the jamb easily when someone puts pressure on the door. In case you do not know, then the strike plate is the piece of metal on your door jamb. The bolt of the lock enters this jamb. You can buy kits for door enforcement in which you would get all the hardware and devices that allow you to enhance the security of the strength of your doors.
3. Lock your Windows
In the above paragraph, we discussed how you can reinforce the hardware and locks of your house doors, windows, and devices. Now here we are going to mention some extra pointers that are going to help you in enhancing the door and window security of your place.
- Install window bars
- You can also install sensors on the doors and windows of your house
- Security film on the windows can act as a reinforcement.
- Plant trimmed prickly bushes under the windows of the first floor and make sure that they remain trimmed
You can add a Blurams Home Security Camera around your windows and doors to enhance the security of your house.
4. Do not keep your valuables exposed
Your valuable items shouldn’t be flashy. Keep the assets that can be easily grabbed inside a safe or locked when not in use. Your bikes and tools should be kept locked. Your home shouldn’t be exposed to outsiders such that they are allowed to case your home. You can use blinds and windows to keep the interiors of your premises safe from the sight of passers-by.
The items that possess high value should be kept away when they aren’t being used. The personal documents that play important in your life, or be it your cash stacks, electronic items or jewelry, they all should not be left in plain sight. Your household safe is the best place for storing your valuable documents and goods. Adding a PoE Security Camera System at such points is a really essential part of house security.
5. Set up a security System
You can go for a professional monitoring or DIY system to secure your home. Home automation is also adopted by many people to secure your home. Today there is a wide variety of security services provisions that you can select for your premises depending upon the level of security and budget.
You should select a security system depending upon your needs based on your comfort and the requirements of your house and neighborhood after making evaluations. You should contact the local department of police to conduct the evaluation of home security and crime statistics of the neighborhood.
We are mentioning here various factors that should be kept in mind:
- Monitoring carbon monoxide and smoke
- Professional installation vs DIY installation
- Brand reputation and customer service
- Monthly costs and upfront
6. Garage Security
Our garage is another corner of your house, which is looked after by the thieves when they are unable to get inside your house. You should keep the interior as well as the exterior of the garage locked to prevent any unauthorized access. There are chances that you have stored plenty of things inside your garage, and this makes it necessary to keep it away from the eyes of criminals.
Use a security code for your garage and keep it secretive from the outsiders like your neighbors, delivery people, etc. Consider keeping the door opener of your garage inside your house. If you wish to learn some more ways to secure your garage from any outsider’s access, then please look at the following pointers:
- Do not leave the door of your garage open and install home automation security systems.
- You can use extra locks to secure your garage door
- Use window covers to keep the interiors protected from any outsider’s sight.
- Install a smart opener for your garage door.
7. Ample Outdoor Lighting
If you light up your landscape, then you are keeping the criminals, burglars, and vandals away from your belongings, and your house. They do not want to be exposed and thus, they are likely to stay away from the lighted areas. With ample outdoor lighting, the burglars would keep a distance from your house. Your backyards and front of the house, garage, pathways, and other structures that are present outdoors should be lighted enough. This way you get two benefits. One is that you are able to cut the risk of stumbling while going upstairs, and secondly, you would make the intruders skittish.
Other than the above-mentioned point, you can also use the following tips to make the security lights installed outside your house most effective:
- You can use lights that are motion-activated in nature
- Use lights that are powered by solar energy in order to conserve energy
- Use a timer for your outdoor lighting
8. Install Security Cameras
Security cameras are considered as the most trusted source of security because they act as deterrents and they provide justice by foiling the burglars through the camera footage. The Reolink Security Camera can act as a great part of your home security, and you can also use the cameras that work independently.
We have mentioned eight measures that you can take and prevent burglaries. Garage security, keeping your valuables inside, reinforcement of locks, hardware, windows, doors, installation of CCTV cameras, at the corners that are mostly prone to burglars attacks are all important for house security. You can follow the above measures to keep your home safe and secure from Burglars.
The post 8 Ways to Keep Your Home Safe and Secure from Burglars appeared first on ReadWrite.